For over a century, Dinuba has maintained a forward thinking attitude and strives to positively impact the economic vitality and enhance the quality of life in the region. Read More
Serving Our Community With Compassion, Professionalism, and Honor.
The Dinuba Fire and Ambulance Department is committed to minimizing the loss of life and property by promoting pride in the community through innovative fire suppression, comprehensive community-wide fire prevention, public education, and medical services which are responsive to community needs. We will accomplish our mission through teamwork with other city departments and outside agencies, building lasting partnerships with the community, devotion to duty above personal risk, a commitment to high ethical and professional standards while protecting and preserving the health of our membership returning them safely to their families.
The Fourth of July is a wonderful day to celebrate with family and friends. However, the celebration can come to a quick halt when the proper safety precautions are not in place prior to using fireworks or when using illegal fireworks.
The City does allow citizens to use Safe and Sane fireworks that are approved by the California State Fire Marshal. Any other fireworks that do not have the State Fire Marshal’s seal on them are strictly prohibited. Fireworks may be used within the city during the period beginning at nine a.m. on the twenty-eighth day of June and ending at eleven fifty-nine p.m. on the fourth day of July.
Illegal fireworks are never permitted within the City of Dinuba.
Dryers and washing machines were involved in one out of every 22 home structure fires reported to U.S. fire departments in 2006-2010.
Facts and figures
- In 2010, an estimated 16,800 reported U.S. non-confined or confined home structure fires involving clothes dryers or washing machines resulted in 51 civilian deaths, 380 civilian injuries and $236 million in direct property damage.
- Clothes dryers accounted for 92% of the fires; washing machines 4%, and washer and dryer combinations accounted for 4%.
- The leading cause of home clothes dryer and washer fires was failure to clean (32%), followed by unclassified mechanical failure or malfunction (22%). Eight percent were caused by some type of electrical failure or malfunction.
- Fireplaces and wood stoves- Make sure stoves installed properly
- Wood stoves should be good quality and laboratory tested
- Have chimney inspected annually and cleaned as needed
- Do not use flammable liquids to start or accelerate any fire
- Keep a metal screen in front of fireplace opening to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out.
- Do not use large amounts of paper to build a roaring fire.
- Keep flammable materials away from fireplace mantel
- NEVER BURN CHARCOAL INDOORS
- NEVER CLOSE YOUR DAMPER WITH HOT ASHES IN YOUR FIREPLACE
CUT OR SCRAPE: If there's bleeding, press firmly with a clean cloth until it stops, 3-15 mins. Clean with lukewarm water and a mild soap. Apply antibiotic ointment then cover with a bandage.
BURN: Immediately hold under cool running water or apply a cold, wet towel until pain subsides. Any small blisters can be covered loosely with a bandage. If burns are on the face, hands, or genitals, or if they are larger than ΒΌ" anywhere on the body call a Dr or go to the ER A.S.A.P
NOSEBLEED: Sit child upright, do not tilt head back. Pinch the nostril end of the nose and lean child forward. Apply pressure continuously for 5-10 mins. DON'T release and check the nose.
INSECT BITE OR STING: If the insect left the stinger, scrape the skin with your fingernail or a credit card to remove it without breaking it. Using tweezers can squeeze out more venom. Call 911 if your child has trouble breathing, is coughing, or develops a hoarse voice, hives, or swollen lips or tongue. Can apply calamine lotion to help with itching, or a cold compress.
WHEN IN DOUBT CALL 911
Every Home Should Have at Least One Working Smoke Alarm
Buy a smoke alarm at any hardware or discount store. It's inexpensive protection for you and your family. Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home. A working smoke alarm can double your chances of survival. Test it monthly, keep it free of dust and replace the battery at twice a year. Smoke alarms themselves should be replaced after ten years of service, or as recommended by the manufacturer.
Use Appliances Wisely
When using appliances follow the manufacturer's safety precautions. Overheating, unusual smells, shorts and sparks are all warning signs that appliances need to be shut off, then replaced or repaired. Unplug appliances when not in use. Use safety caps to cover all unused outlets, especially if there are small children in the home.
Plan Your Escape
Practice an escape plan from every room in the house. Caution everyone to stay low to the floor when escaping from fire and never to open doors that are.
Caring for Children
Children under five are naturally curious about fire. Many play with matches and lighters. Take the mystery out of fire play by teaching your children that fire is a tool, not a toy.
Caring for Older People
Every year over 1,000 senior citizens die in fires. Many of these fire deaths could have been prevented. Seniors are especially vulnerable because many live alone and can't respond quickly.